Sailing for Science, Education and Exploration


new-logo-500x500-jpeg-versionListen to the Matt Rutherford Show!


                              Our Sponsors! 


STEM Education Blog: Nicole Trenholm- Field Scientist

We are on fire!

We are on fire! I am just thrilled that we are finally back to 24 hour operations in the ice, mapping Inglefield glacial fjord’s seafloor and comparing the subsurface temperatures lurking in front of the glaciers. I am kind of the boat’s fortune teller. I wake up every 5 hours for my watch and I […]

Posted in Education | 2 Comments

We are only getting started!

There is more on my mind than just puppies and icebergs. Getting through Baffin Bay was a piece a cake except when I interpreted  the radar returns in heavy fog as scattered noise  and a wall of ice appeared  out of the mist. The marine debris trawl samples are always full of life but barren […]

Posted in Education | 1 Comment

Expedition Blog: Matt Rutherford- Expedition Leader

O’ Canada

Besides the powerful reoccurring cramp in my leg things are quite nice right now.  Nikki, Mike and I just ate fish and chips with fresh caught cod and a piece of pie made from a local berry I’ve never heard of before.  Life is good in southern Labrador Canada. We spent ten days in Aasiaat, […]

Posted in Greenland, Uncategorized | 4 Comments

Phase 2

Aasiaat is far from a metropolitan city but it feels like one at this point.  We have spent so much of our time in the far north that even basic luxuries seem extravagant.  For instance you can do laundry, which is something we haven’t done since May.  You can take a fresh water shower, it […]

Posted in Greenland | 2 Comments