We believe that while no one can do everything, everyone can do something to encourage a sustainable relationship between man and the marine environment.
The Ocean Research Project (ORP) sails for science, education and exploration in order to direct the sustainability of the oceans. We serve the scientific and scholastic communities by providing a worldwide alternative affordable and environmentally benign oceangoing data collection platforms.
We approach each project like histories great pioneers in ocean exploration, under sail with a small committed team yet outfitted with today’s efficient oceanographic technology. We investigate the ocean’s emerging threats with an emphasis on: climate change, ocean acidification, marine debris pollution, and biodiversity population concerns.
Through determination and sacrifice we reach marine environments that may otherwise go unnoticed. Through endurance we
- Ocean Research Project’s data collection services support estimates for world marine debris plastic concentrations
- Surveyed 15,000 miles of worldwide marine plastic debris
- +185 students participated in ORP education activities since 2012
- Increase ocean research focused on the emerging ocean threats by providing an alternative affordable and environmentally benign data collection platform and offering collaborative research cruises to scientists annually.
- Expand ORP’s research cruise schedule into fragile and remote marine ecosystems extending into the Southern Hemisphere by operating in both hemispheres during opportune seasonal periods.
- We aim to empower all to act upon conserving the oceans. We do this through interactive education activities coordinated with schools and by developing adventure based audiovisual media.
Sailing for science, education and exploration